What is REDCap?
REDCap (Research Electronic Data Capture) is a secure web application for building and managing online surveys and databases. Originally created at Vanderbilt University, it is now shared with local partners around the globe. REDCap can be used to collect virtually any type of data, it is specifically geared to support online or offline data capture for research studies and operations.
Benefits of REDCap:
- Fast: basic project design via either a point and click interface or by creating a “data dictionary” in Microsoft Excel.
- Customizable: users can also create, modify, and utilize surveys and databases without any previous programing knowledge.
- Multi-site: if principal investigator is within NU system, users from multiple sites and institutions can access REDCap projects.
- Offline: REDCap automatically produces PDFs of forms and surveys that can be used for offline data collection. In addition, the REDCap app can be used when wifi is not available (with minimal preparation).
- Longitudinal data collection: researchers have the ability to define “events” and designate specific instruments for each event, and automatically send out follow up surveys.
- Exporting data: data collected in REDCap can be easily exported to many statistical platforms, like Microsoft Excel, R, SAS, SPSS, and Stata.
Getting Started with REDCap:
- Learn more about REDCap by watching a brief summary video (4 min) and reading the information on cost. If REDCap looks like something you would use, continue to step 2.
- Access to REDCap is open to anyone at UNL. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request the registration information.
- Learn REDCap’s features by watching tutorial videos and creating test/just for fun projects.
- Create project in development mode, add data collection instruments, test data collection, and make any needed changes.
- Move project to production mode.
- Collect data!